ul. Kopernika 84, 81-456 Gdynia +48 58 714 26 81 or +48 500 402 102

Dar Pomorza

 

Dar Pomorza

dar pomorza
Dar Pomorza is an attraction not only for sailors
 
The three-mast Dar Pomorza is a legend of the Polish sailing. For many this ship became a dream of sea adventures. During its sailing career it experienced over a hundred voyages. At the moment it is anchored in the Gdynia port and acts as a museum-ship.
 
Beginning of the Dar Pomorza
 
The sailing unit was built in the German dockyard for the Deutscher Schulschiff Verein and called "Prinzess Eitel Friedrich". It was used for school trips. It served in the German sailing until 1922 when it was passed down to the French based on the treaty of Versailles. Five years later baron Maurice de Forest became its owner. His plan was to install a mechanical engine in the sailing unit. The plan wasn;t implemented and the baron sold the ship. 
 
In 1929 the frigate was bought by the Polish society. The first name of the ship was "Pomorze". For celebrating the impact of the Pomerinian residents on the purchase of the unit, it was called "Dar Pomorza". Renovated and rebuilt ship had its first voyage in 1930. The lucky were the students of the Nautical School in Gdynia. 
The Dar Pomorza was used by more than ten thousand students who sailed in the unit 500 thousand nautical miles (which is equal to sail the Earth 25 times). After over 50 years of service in the Polish sailing it was transformed into museum. To this day in the Gdynia port it reminds of the first years of the Polish sailing.  
 
The Dar Pomorza is an obligatory attraction for all the people staying in Gdynia. Everyone will learn here something interesting about the history of sailing in Poland. If you plan to visit Gdynia soon to see the Dar Pomorza and other attractions, we would like to enable this to you. We run the Willa Bryza - Villa Gdynia A96 and we will gladly welcome any visitors in our rooms and apartments.